What Is the DEVELOPER Theme
Developers are the people in our lives who are always pushing us to grow, expand, and never give up. More than simple encouragers, they see in us what we cannot see in ourselves. And, helping others succeed is their focus. When they have a vision for someone they are not the type to easily give up on them. They are mentally sharp, compassionate, and enthusiastically aware individuals. Meeting another person where they are at comes very naturally to them, and their instinct is to push them to greater heights. In fact, they are wired to see only the potential in others and situations—it is absolute and unshakable. The present moment is important, yes, but it isn’t everything for them; for Developers, the here-and-now is more like a starting-point, a launchpad. They dwell in what is possible and are energized by the prospect of getting people to the next level. They see potential everywhere they go and they have an evolved intuition for identifying next-steps. For them, personal development is about taking action, it is a process of A to B, B to C, C to D, etc. and, in their eyes, each person is simultaneously a work-in-progress and a masterpiece.
Why Should We Care
Developers don’t simply notice the potential in others, they actually seek it out, look for it everywhere, and, in some ways, need it. They recognize hidden talents in others and can easily identify where someone is holding back in life. And, it’s not cheerleading—instead it’s about finding constructive ways of challenging others. They have a precise sense of what will encourage a person to grow and what will not; there are not one-size fits all solutions for them. They intuitively understand when and where to push someone into excellence. The way an artist can identify minute gradations of color, Developers can recognize the slightest signs of growth in others. It is their gift. They are skilled at identifying options for moving upward and making game plans. In that way, they can be very practical, efficient, and deliver results. They might ask questions like, “What is one small thing you can do today to make tomorrow better?” and “What’s the first step to getting where you are going?” They remind us that the little things are the big things.
Ten Things to Know About People with DEVELOPER
1. Shoemaker’s Children. While Developers can find endless potential in others and encourage them to grow, they may have a hard time seeing it in themselves and/or taking action in their own lives. They are born givers who may have a hard time receiving.
2. Intuition. Their work is largely (and beautifully) intuitive; while a Developer might say that they “see” potential in others, what they are really doing is sensing and feeling it.
3. Magnetic. Because they look for the good and have an outward focus on helping others, they generally give off a really good vibe, and people are drawn to them naturally.
4. Buzzwords. Developers are natural coaches—people who encourage and strategize—so common words in their vocabulary include: next-steps, plan, vision, solution, growth, potential, progress, success, baby-steps, and achievement. Also, if they say, “I believe in you.” They mean it.
5. Creative. Their approach is often action-oriented, so it is easy to overlook just how creative their ideas truly are. There is a type of spontaneous outpouring that occurs when they are inspired and their solutions are often subtle, yet ingenious.
6. Patience. Some people simply are not ready or willing to change and grow. This attitude can be almost offensive to a Developer. There is no place in their brain to receive an idea like this, so they are likely to be baffled by people who refuse help and stay stuck.
7. Humanness. Developers are generally happy to share their own journey and personal perspective as a way of connecting with and inspiring others. Identifying points of personal development in others is truly lifegiving for them—it gives them an opportunity to reflect on their own experiences and seems to positively ground them in their purpose.
8. Endless Enthusiasm for Growth. Like the Interstate system, the work of the Developer is never done. And, for them, that is a good thing—like, how cool is it that we live in a universe where can be forever improving?
9. Greater Meaning. When we are in our darkest hour, Developers stand firm and hold that space with us—they help us see a way out of our suffering. And, even if we are not ready to hear it, they have a tendency to look for the greater meaning in experiences.
10. Love. Developers can get burnt out. They may even have a pattern of running themselves into the ground. So, a great way to show them love is to help them develop their OWN self and to encourage them to take their own wonderful medicine from time to time.
Zach Carlsen is the grateful lead blogger at StrengthsLife.com
His strengths of Ideation, Connectedness, Input, Strategic, and Empathy have taken him all over the world. He is an inventor, athlete, joyous wanderer/wonderer, translator, poet, and Gallup Certified Strengths Coach.